Loss of Coverage

If you or someone in your household recently lost or expects to lose qualified health insurance coverage, you could be eligible to enroll through Your Health Idaho.

You may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) if you have experienced one of the following Qualifying Life Events (QLEs) in the last 60 days:

  • Loss of employer (or spouse’s employer) coverage
  • Loss of other coverage such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, Tricare, or PeaceCorps coverage
  • Exhaustion of employer-sponsored COBRA or PERSI benefits
  • Discontinuation of marketplace coverage
  • Dependent turns 26 and ages out of parent or guardian’s insurance plan
  • Death of the primary subscriber

To report your change, you must provide verification to document your event. Accepted documents include:

If you lost qualified health coverage

These documents prove eligibility:

  • Non-editable letter (PDF) from the previous employer (letter must clearly state that employment termination resulted in a loss of coverage and include the insurance coverage end date, carrier, plan name, and name of employee/individual losing coverage)
  • Dated letter of fund exhaustion from PERSI (sent three months prior to exhaustion of funds)
  • COBRA notice of termination of employer contribution to enrollment
  • Employer letter of exhaustion of contribution to COBRA enrollment
  • Termination letter from your health insurance company
  • Termination letter from a government provider (e.g., Medicaid)

If you turned 26 and aged out of your health insurance coverage.

  • Provide documentation of previous coverage and of age.

If you lost coverage because the primary tax filer in your household is deceased.

Provide documentation of previous coverage and one of these documents to prove eligibility:

  • Copy of death certificate
  • Signed affidavit
  • Newspaper obituary
  • Mortuary notice

If your hardship exemption was cancelled

  • Provide a copy of the Health and Human Services exemption certification.

For most QLEs, you have 60 days from the date of your event to enroll in coverage. This means you must report your change, provide documentation, and select a plan and enroll by the end of the 60 days.

If you have questions, or would like more information, contact Your Health Idaho at 855-944-3246 or submit a support request online.

How you report your QLE depends on whether you already have coverage or receive a tax credit to help cover the cost of your insurance premium.

For existing accounts, please log in to your account to edit your application.

For new customers, create your account at yourhealthidaho.org and complete your application.