Working with an Agent, Broker, or Enrollment Counselor

Published by admin on


Working with an Agent, Broker, or Enrollment Counselor

You know you need health insurance but getting started can seem overwhelming. “Do I qualify for a tax credit?” “Which plan is best for my family?” “How do I set up an account?” These are all questions you are probably asking yourself right now.

We know insurance can be confusing, that’s why Your Health Idaho (YHI) provides the help of an agent, broker, or enrollment counselor in your region, for free!

All agents, brokers, and enrollment counselors are required to be certified by YHI, so you know you are getting the best possible help when setting up your account and choosing a plan.

Agents and Brokers

Agents and brokers are licensed by the Idaho Department of Insurance (DOI) and can help you through the process of applying for a tax credit, setting up an account, reviewing your plan options, and ultimately choosing the coverage that is best for you, your family, and your lifestyle.

Enrollment Counselors

Enrollment counselors offer expert advice on navigating the application process. Not only can they help you apply for a tax credit, but they can also help you apply for any additional programs you may qualify for like Medicaid or CHIP. Enrollment counselors are employed by enrollment entities, or organizations selected by YHI to provide customer assistance. For plan year 2021, enrollment entities include Idaho Primary Care Association (IPCA) and the St. Luke’s Hospital System. Unlike agents and brokers, enrollment counselors cannot make recommendations on which insurance plan to purchase.

Whether you choose to work with an agent, broker, or enrollment counselor, you can feel confident knowing  that your application will be accurate, submitted in a timely manner, and adhere to all  privacy and security standards. To find free help near you, visit the YHI website.




Categories: Blog